Beautification Comm.

BEAUTIFICATION COMMITTEE

The goal of this committee is to review the general appearance of the entire Baycrest community. With the help of volunteers this committee will conduct an annual spring clean-up program. The committee is expected to make their recommendations to the Board. The Board will either act on the recommendation or turn it over to a specific Baycrest Community committee for review and approval.

Board Rep.: Monte Struck                            320-260-0625

Helen Stafsholt, Co-Chair                            634-3740

Mary Jordheim, Co-Chair                             701-293-0243

Mark Hoplin                                                  634-4953

Gaylyn Bisel                                                634-3616

Carroll Britton                                             320-766-9903 

 

BEAUTIFICATION COMMITTEE MINUTES, MAY 5, 2019

Present:  Helen Stafsholt, Mary Jordheim, Pat Clarke, Mark Hoplin. New member, Carroll Britton, was welcomed to the committee.  Absent:  Monte Struck and Gaylyn Bisel.

Committee Roles and Responsibilities:

We reviewed the role of the Beautification Committee.  Mark read the explanation of the committee’s role from the Baycrest website. “The goal of this committee is to review the general appearance of the entire Baycrest community. With the help of volunteers, this committee will conduct an annual spring clean-up program. The committee is expected to make their recommendations to the Board. The Board will either act on the recommendation or turn it over to a specific Baycrest Community Committee for review and approval.”  We discussed the additional areas that we have been asked to review over the past few years and feel that it is comfortable to continue communicating verbally via the Board liaison.  If we feel the request is outside our realm of expertise, we will convey that to the Board.  As a committee, we are concerned about the whole community and want to do our part to ensure things continue to look good and to function well.  Pat mentioned that she would prefer to go off the committee for now but will continue to help on the various projects around the community. We thanked her for her many years on the committee and for bringing her knowledge and enthusiasm for making our community a beautiful place to live.

Flower Pots:

Mary and Helen ordered flowers last fall from Glacial Ridge Growers. Flowers ordered include coleus, lamium, vinca, lobelia, salvia and marigolds.  We will need to freshen up the pots before planting with some additional soil for some pots and fertilizer for all of them. 

We also need to get more mulch for the storage entrance beds that were redone last year.  Mark volunteered to pick that up in Alexandria.  The mulch can be spread out on clean-up day. Helen and Mary will pick up the plants for the flower pots later this month.  Helen will pick up a couple of bags of dirt. Mary will look for lamium at another greenhouse since Glacial Ridge Growers won’t have that available as planned. Chet told us last fall that we have $500 remaining in the budget for this year’s flowers.

Planting day for the pots is planned for Tuesday, May 21 starting about 10:30 a.m. at the pool. 

Clean-up Day:

Cleanup Day has been scheduled for Saturday, May 18th, starting at 9:30 a.m. at the pool.  Carroll offered to bring coffee and snacks, Helen and Mary will bring some water.

Helen will have a sign-up sheet available for the various projects to be worked on that day so people can choose areas to work on that interest them.  Pat volunteered to head up a team to work on the black fungus removal.  This continues to spread in our village and needs to have ongoing attention by anyone who has been trained and will take some time to help get it out.

Helen will send a note to Chet to be emailed out to all members giving them the details of the day’s activities.  Later in the day, around 5 p.m., those who are interested will gather at the beach for a hotdog roast.  Mary will pick up the hotdogs, Helen will bring ketchup, mustard and relish, Mark will bring beans and Carroll will bring the makings for s’mores.  Helen will also bring plates and napkins and chips.  Everyone will be asked to bring their own beverages.

Other items of discussion:

  1. Watering team and schedule:
    1. Helen will run off copies of the schedule for watering and bring it on May 21 when we gather to plant the pots.  Schroedls will not be available for watering this year. 
  2. Pond by the pool:
    1. Every year we work on this area to try and reduce the weeds growing in and around the pond.  It was suggested that a fountain might help keep that growth down – we will check with Mike Chevalier to see what he thinks since he’s had experience with fountains in other areas of Baycrest.
  3. Area from drainage ditch to the lake that got cleaned out last year:
    1. We discussed this area and thought the best thing for now would be to have the soil worked up and smoothed out with grass being planted.  Later, as the budget allows, some trees could be planted in that area to make it more attractive.
  4. Street Lights:
    1. General consensus is that the new lights that are being looked at are nice but a but small.  Larger ones cost a lot more, however, so it may not be practical to change to bigger ones.  The main advantage with the system proposed is elimination of the arm and using a metal lamp which will hold up better over time.
  5. Entrance signs:
    1. We need to clarify with the board as to our role in replacing the current signs.  We have discussed this issue for several years but no decision has been made. We are not sure if money has been budgeted for new signs or if we need to continue working with the signs we have.
  6. Black fungus on trees:
    1. Pat says she has notice additional areas with the black tree fungus.  Gaylyn and Chet Bisel have spent quite a bit of time cutting out branches with the fungus and are willing to help with that. Pat will head up a team to address this on clean-up day and is willing to train others to help with this problem.  Branches need to be bagged up immediately when cut down and taken to be burned.  Spores will spread the problem if branches are cut and allowed to lay on the ground and dry out.  Anyone with questions can contact Pat to discuss it further with her.
  7. Use of herbicides:
    1. It is recommended that we use only natural, non-toxic solutions to reduce weeds.  We have a recipe for weed control using vinegar and Dawn dish soap that can be used and will not harm the lake.  Toxic chemicals should not be used here as they will wash down to the lake.  Pat volunteered to address the weeds that grow in the rocks by our entrance signs by putting some Quick-Crete down to eliminate the weeds.
  1. Next meeting date: 
    1. We will meet the first week of June.  Helen will send out an email to see which days and times work best for the committee.

 

Minutes by Helen Stafsholt